Lessons come into our life in a curious way. I was finally reaching “success” in my brick & mortar business and ready to pivot online to share my strategy with the world. The obvious next step was to build out the website to build my online course. This was before Isabel, mind you, and somehow I made a connection with a business coach that promised me everything that I wanted… just sign this 25 page contract. I felt the red flag and ignored it, focusing on all the promises and the gleaming website to come.
Looking back, I didn’t ask enough questions, like what platform will my website be hosted on? Ya know, basics. I was naive. And this was a time when business coaching was just making momentum on the scene. I blindly leapt and signed the contract. It was a mistake! After 6 months, I barely got the basics of a website, a $300 monthly fee from the platform I wasn’t expecting, and barely any communication from the business coach. She took my money and went on a luxury vacation. I’ve never been on a luxury vacation and was so upset with myself. I reread the contract and it was solid. There was no way of getting my money back and it was clear that she would sue me if I went public with my story. Well I am here, but not with names.
Here’s my point. We’ve got to:
1) Listen to our intuition. Slow down, tune in and ask: “Do I resonate with this person?” If it’s a no, we need to trust it. We don’t necessarily need to know why it’s a no, Divine has its reason. Could be timing, could be their assistance, doesn’t matter. Trust it. Walk away, and wait for guidance. Keep doing the internal work of tuning in (Thank you Gassho).
2) If you’re slapped with a 25 page contract, ask yourself, why? A few page, readable, understandable contract - that’s normal, but one filled with legal jargon you can’t understand is just trying to save their ass if you try to bring them to court. I give short contracts to my long-term clients, because I don’t ever want to go to court, but I want to be the kind of person to work it out with my clients and give refunds in the right circumstances... Why? Because “Just for Today, do my work honestly” means something to me. And I hope it does for my students and clients as well.
So the question is, why am I sharing this story now. I recently had a student sign up for a business coaching program and got swindled. It was a cookie cutter, do it exactly this way and you’ll make 6 figures guaranteed… but then you read the small print and it says no refunds. And it cost thousands of dollars.
I had to remind her that she can get caught in the cycle of resentment and frustration for this course not working, or take the lesson, ask for a refund anyway because why not, you got nothing to lose, and walk away and take another path.
Want to Hear More Reiki Business Stories? Check Out This Podcast!
My lessons:1. Pay attention to my intuition
2. Question the purpose of contracts
3. Feel into the integrity of business coaches - few are great, most are not
4. Work directly with the person creating anything for you
Then I went on to ask the Universe for a social media marketer and to help me with all the pieces I needed support with and manifested Isabel! She fixed the website and the rest is history. I’ve got the best Director for my business and couldn’t have grown how I have without her support!
What business frustrations are you having, whether they are costing you money or just your mental health? Pause! What’s the lesson? What do you need to learn from this cycle? Are you ready to make a new choice?
I'm now passionate about sharing my Reiki business tips, tricks, and techniques with every Reiki practitioner, because you deserve to have the Reiki business of you dreams WITHOUT making a $10k mistake like I did. It's why I created courses like the Reiki Business Bootcamp, so that you can bring your Reiki dreams into reality the easy way.
Classes start soon... hopefully I'll see you there! Let's learn and grow together.
ReikiCafe University Founder and President
Are You Ready to Create Your Successful Reiki Business?